Text Coding

With the blessing of a new school, I was also lucky enough to have a Curriculum Coach on site who rolled out several strategies.  Many of which were a "tweak" different from what I already was doing in the class but most were certainly worth my while to incorporate into my routine.

Text Coding


This little reading and thinking strategy helped many of my students.  First, we came up with a list of CODES we would all use while reading.  I teach 4th grade so we had many codes.  Younger grades could use less codes.

Here's the anchor chart (don't mind the misspelling - I fixed it after I took the picture 😵

::sorry for the typo!::


Then we put the codes into action.  EVERY passage they could write on - they did.  Without question, it was the expectation.  This expectation led to text-coders on our state test.  Ultimately, the goal is to create metacognition while they are reading ANY piece of text.  The practice was great.

During review time we would discuss and share our text codes either with the whole class or with a partner.  It sparked many good conversations!


1 comment

Background created by Julianne. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top